Friday, February 15, 2008

Suitable for All Ages . . .

It will not surprise any of you to know that I am behind in all of the things I want to post. I have pictures piling up that I want to share with you, stories to tell, and nonsense rambling to get off my chest . . .

So, last Saturday, C.C. had her auditon for her next musical, The Wiz. I was so proud of her, she actually made it all the way through the audition this time, instead of running out of the building in terror like she did the first time, and then choosing not to audition the second time. I guess the third time's a charm, right? She didn't get a callback, but atleast she made it over the audition hurdle. The cast list was posted on Wednesday, and among other parts that have not been determined yet, she was cast as a Tornado . . . there are about 15 tornadoes, so knowing the Director, they will probably be doing some kind of dance, most likely tap . . . The Tapping Tornadoes, ha! I'll keep you posted on that . . .

Wednesday, an email went out from the theatre asking if anyone would be willing to type the
script into a Word document, so, stupidly I responded and said I would "be happy to do it." Thank Goodness three other people also volunteered because the darn script is 80 pages long!!! I was in charge of pages 30-50, and I am proud to announce that I have my part complete and emailed in to the Producer.

There is a point to me telling you all of this, and the point is . . .Has anyone ever seen the movie The Wiz, or read the script, or seen a live performance? Just wondering because I came across some very interesting scenes while typing my pages 30-50. Like this . . . Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, and Lion have just entered the Poppy Field that they were warned to avoid (stage directions in parentheses)

LION: Wait for me! (He starts to follow to Stage Right, but a Poppy blows dust in his face, and he is hooked.) Y'all go on ahead. (Crosses Downstage, Left, Center.) I'll bring up the rear. (The Poppies, beautiful, sinuous, like streetwalkers, radiating sex, surround the lion. He moves among them, trying to touch and sniff each one. He gets higher and higher. ) All together ladies . . .

So, we have the Lion getting high off of poppy dust . . . . (I left out the part where the poppies surround him and grind and bump!)

Then there's this, the big entrance of the Wiz himself . . .

(Before the terified eyes of Dorothy and the others, two giant doors slide apart, revealing a mask. The mask then flies diagonally toward Stage Left, revealing yet another aperture, not unlike and iris**. As the aperture opens, mountains of smoke pour out, and through it, riding on what appears to be a giant tongue, comes the figure of the Wiz himself. The Wiz moves forward a bit, and when the tongue has reached its final position Downstage, the Wiz strikes a pose, flips his cape open, and he is, indeed, an awesome figure to behold.)

** What in the world does that mean?

And, indeed, he must be awesome if he's riding in on a giant tongue, for crying outloud!

Okay, I'm not complaining, because I have seen many shows put on by this theatre company, and they are all done in extreme good taste, and yes, they are always suitable for all ages . . . . but, I admit, those two scenes made me stop and think. I'll have to tell you how it turns out once the Director starts blocking the scenes. All I know is I am definitely going to join the team that is in charge of building the giant tongue . . . if for no other reason than to have pictures!

3 comments:

ibeebarbie said...

Atta girl----I knew I could count on you to be on the photography end of these matters. :-)

Mixed Up Me said...

Would you miss the opportunity to record the building of the giant tongue? I just hope I have a camera that doesn't have a black screen by then!

ibeebarbie said...

I still can't get mine to work. :-( I think I'm going to have to actually go into a camera shop and have them look at it as I'll be damn if I actually read the manual.